Saturday, July 22, 2017

July 21st

Today didn't have anything planned out but we found out a way.

This morning we drove to Pullman, WA to meet a WSU student that is graduating with his PHD. His name is London Charlo. London is studying the Pileated Woodpecker  (Dryocopus Pileatus). He was giving this assignment by his professor, Mike Schutt, who is the Senior Environment Wildlife Coordinator.

London Charlo explained how he been researching the Woodpecker. He talked about how much g's force a Pileated Woodpecker's brain can take, comparing it to the human brain. The ability for a Pileated Woodpecker to stand g's force in its brian repeatadly ranges from 600 - 1,500  g's force. For a human brain repeatedly being striked at the head can only take around 200 g's force if the most. That is pushing it.

After talking with London Charlo and we drove to the Coeur D'Alene wellness center, to shower up for pow wow.

Once we arrived at the fair grounds of Coeur D'Alene, I felt weird having to be under rules on how to behave at a pow wow and needing a buddy. Overall I enjoyed my time at the pow wow. A few Yakama member were mentioned at the pow wow that I never thought would be there.

One more day to go and I will see my family and be in my own bed and wash my own clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 22nd

TODAY IS THE DAY WE GO HOME!!! But first... I was extremely excited to go home today because I miss my family. But first, inventory. I too...